Success is a term that is used heavily in our culture. Success is the thing that everyone works to attain, some people are born into success while others stumble upon it. You may be tempted to blame your situation or your upbringing for your lack of success. In many cases, those things appear to play a role but do they determine your potential? In this episode of Converge, Dane Sanders interviews Jaz Ampaw-Farr and she answers that question with a deafening “NO.” Success is not determined by your circumstances. Your conviction to attain your full potential is the driving force behind your success. Jaz says conviction is the key to success. Listen to this episode to hear Jaz’s story and hear how you can overcome your situation and attain success.
Suffering can drive you to succeed
Jaz had a childhood full of suffering. She was raised in an abusive home, brought up in a brothel and exposed to things no child should see. She was made to feel inferior and worthless. One of her daily tasks was to steal food from local stores to feed the family. For many, this would have driven them into depression, drugs, or suicide. But not Jaz. She used her sufferings to empower and motivate her to succeed. In this episode of Converge, Jaz dives deep into the hurt of the past and how it gave her conviction for the future. You don’t want to miss this one.
“I don’t have a choice” is one of the biggest lies we tell ourselves
It’s easy to let life happen to us. To sit by and be the victim complaining that we don’t have any other choice and that we are not in control. While this may be the easy road it will not lead to success and fulfillment. On this episode of Converge, Jaz explains how giving in to this way of thinking will handicap us and ruin our potential. She gives a few tips on ways you can keep yourself from falling into the trap of self-pity.
Transparency and Honesty will increase your impact on the world
So many of us have a gift to share with the world. Many of us have perfected ways of doing so and are seeing results. But how transparent and honest are you about your shortcomings? In this episode, Jaz Ampaw-Farr explains how being honest and transparent exponentially increased her impact. Listen up to hear how she did it.
A successful person is simply a failure who keeps getting up
Being successful is the goal of so many. Yet attaining it can seem out of reach. Every situation is different and with each failure, the journey becomes harder. In this episode, Jaz Ampaw-Farr explains what 3 steps you need to take in order to start seeing results and how conviction is the secret weapon of the successful person. Listen all the way to the end of the episode to hear her tips.
Outline of this great episode
- [0:20] Intro to Jaz Ampaw-Farr.
- [2:20] Jaz’s story and how she ended up becoming a teacher.
- [3:00] Living in a Brothel.
- [6:00] Faking an accent to get into college.
- [8:00] Teachers have a unique ability to be heroes in the lives of children.
- [12:24] As a teacher you need to be focused on relationships with the students, not their performance.
- [17:00] “I don’t have a choice” is the biggest lie we tell ourselves.
- [18:00] A coach is important in your life to help you see that you do have a choice.
- [20:00] Jaz’s suffering brought her to a place of serving.
- [23:00] If you are not completely convicted to making things work then you will be fighting an uphill battle.
- [28:00] Jaz was one of the pioneers in phonics teaching.
- [30:00] When Jaz decided to be honest and transparent her impact on the world grew.
- [40:00] As the entrepreneur, you have the ability to choose your clients.
- [42:27] To succeed you need 3 things. An idea of what a successful you looks like, an understanding of where you are in relationship to that successful you, and an understanding of what to do next.
- [45:20] A success is simply a failure who keeps getting up.
- [46:00] Try to recognize the incremental changes you are making on your journey.
- [47:00] Jaz is coming to GO Summit
- [48:47] What Jaz hopes to accomplish at GO Summit
Resources & Links mentioned in this episode
- Check out what Jaz is up to at her website.
Connect with the Converge team:
Audio Production and Show notes by PODCAST FAST TRACK